As lip trends change over the years, from bold to matte to velvety, one product has remained a constant in the makeup world - lip gloss! We all want smooth, kissable lips and lip gloss helps us achieve that. Gloss gives the illusion that the lips are fuller than they are and adds instant hydration. Looking for a few lip gloss hacks to really make your lips pop? We’ve got you covered. Here are some tips and tricks to keep this lip makeup staple looking great.
How can I make my lip gloss look good?
Wondering how to get soft lips that look and feel amazing? Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! There really are endless benefits of exfoliating for the skin. The first and most important step to making your lip gloss look good is to make sure you have exfoliated lips. Exfoliation removes the dead skin on the surface of the lips, creating a smooth canvas for the gloss. Exfoliated lips can also absorb the hydration properties from the gloss better, keeping your lips moisturized. Simply use a wet washcloth to scrub your lips or use an exfoliating lip scrub. After you exfoliate, remember to hydrate! Our Magic Lip Balm can do wonders in locking in moisture after a good exfoliation. Don’t have a nourishing lip balm on hand? Coconut oil for the lips is an excellent substitute when you need a boost of hydration.
Line your lips! Lip liner is one of our favorite lip gloss hacks. Not only does it make your lips look fuller, but it also serves as an even base to help your gloss stay on longer. As you get older, your lip line tends to fade which can cause a feathering look to your gloss. Lining your lips will help keep the definition and keep the gloss from migrating. Make sure to line your lips and lightly fill them in with a liner to create an even base for your gloss. You can either use a neutral color that matches the hue of your lip or one with a little more color if you want your gloss to pop.
Unlike lipstick where you swipe your whole lip, we like to apply lip gloss a little differently. Apply the gloss on the center of your bottom lip and then press your lips together to transfer the gloss to the upper lip. Smacking your lips together will make sure the lip gloss is evenly coated between your top and bottom lip.
Bring life back to your lipstick by adding a gloss on top. Adding a gloss to your favorite lipstick will help it pop and give the appearance of fuller lips. A gloss on your lipstick will also keep your lips far from becoming dry and chapped. Love our matte Liquid Lip but want a little shine? Dab on some gloss for a whole new look.
How can I make my lip gloss last all day?
Have we mentioned exfoliation? Starting with an exfoliated, smooth lip will help keep your gloss in place.
Try adding a primer! Lip primers help the gloss stay all day. There are even lip primers specifically formulated for glossy lips. Experiment with different primers to find the one that works best for you!
Line your lips. As mentioned above, lining your lips will help keep the gloss from migrating and will define your lips.
Another trick to try is to add a lip balm base. After lining your lips, add a lip balm to keep your lips hydrated and prevent cracking. You can also try adding a translucent powder to your lips after exfoliating and lining. The powder will create a great base for the gloss to stick to.
How can I make lip gloss at home?
Love Do-It-Yourself projects? Try making a lip gloss at home. Making lip gloss is easy and customizable so you can create your perfect gloss with your favorite scents, flavors, and colors.
Things you need:
- 2 tbsps. beeswax
- 4 tbsps. of an oil such as grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 tbsps. coconut oil
- 2 tbsps. coconut butter or shea butter
- 3 vitamin E pills
- Your favorite essential oils
- Lipstick (optional for color)
- Glitter (option for a little sparkle)
- Prep the beeswax. You can buy beeswax in several different forms. Beeswax pastilles are little pellets of beeswax that are easy to melt down. If you buy a beeswax in square pieces, grate it down. The smaller the beeswax pieces are, the easier they are to melt.
- Assemble all the ingredients in a glass measuring cup or glass bowl. Combine the beeswax, grapeseed or olive oil, coconut oil, coconut or shea butter, and 3 vitamin E pills in the glass container. With the vitamin E pills, squeeze the contents into the bowl and discard the outside of the pill. You can also cut the end of the pill to get the contents out.
- Time to boil! Create a double-boiler by adding about two inches of water to a large pan. Make sure it is large enough for the glass measuring cup or bowl to fit inside. Fit the glass container inside the pan of water and apply medium to high heat. Occasionally stir as the ingredients start to melt. Remove from heat once combined and smooth.
- Make it your own! Once the beeswax, oil, and butter mixture has melted together, it is time to add your personal touch to the gloss. Add your favorite essential oils such as orange, lemon, or lavender, to give the gloss a scent and flavor. Want to add color to the gloss? Just add some of your favorite lipstick! You can also use ingredients such as mica powder or beetroot powder to add natural coloring. Want a little sparkle? Add some glitter to the mixture and thoroughly stir it in.
- Fill your handmade gloss into your containers while the mixture is still hot. Let cool for about 20-30 minutes so the gloss can thicken. Apply and enjoy! This recipe makes about 14 lip glosses so you can give them out to friends or keep them all for yourself.