Hey, Honest Fam! Jessica Alba here with my ride-or-die (@LizzyMathis). We’re back in the kitchen with our friend + cooking guru (@acooknamedmatt), and this time we’re whipping up something extra sweet (a personal fave of mine): CHURROS! If you’re looking for a tasty treat to serve at your NYE gathering or maybe you just have a sweet tooth like me, then watch the vid and keep scrolling to get all the deets on Matt’s delicious family recipe. And never fear—he was able to guide both Lizzy and I through the whole process and made it super easy and fun (and I know you will love re-creating it yourself). Plus, I’m sharing my go-to cleaning tips on how to keep your cooking space squeaky-clean from start to finish as you make these sugary-sweet treats. Let’s get cookin’!
PREP IT UP:
Like any good chef, we should always begin with a nice + clean cooking environment before we bring on the food! I like to reach for our Multi-Surface Refillable Cleaning Kit. This all-in-one starter kit uses naturally derived ingredients to cut through everything from tough stains to grease, dirt and grime on non-porous surfaces. I love it because it’s not only gentle on my kitchen countertops but it also uses less waste thanks to the refillable-reusable bottle! Once I’ve wiped down my space, I know it’s clean and all ready for the big event: sweet, sweet cooking.
To make Matt’s delicious churros yourself, you will need the following ingredients + tools:
- Canola Oil
- 2 Pots
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- Spoon Spatula
- Optional: Mixer with paddle attachment
- 2 Small Bowls
- Piping Bag
- Knife or Scissors
- Strainer Spoon
- Plates for Serving
GET IN THE MIX:
Even if this is your first time cooking churros, don’t sweat it. Matt’s expert recipe and guidance make this whole thing a breeze. No struggles here. (Okay, I may have had a bit of butterfinger moments, but that’s OK too.)
- Reminder! Don’t forget to make sure your cooking area is squeaky-clean before starting. And always wash your hands first!
- Step 1: Fill your pot with 1½ cups of water, 2 tbsp of butter, ¼ cup of sugar and a pinch of salt
- Step 2: Bring to a simmer (not a boil, because you don’t want to lose too much water)
- Step 3: Once it comes to a simmer, toss in 1½ cups of flour
- Step 4: Mix everything together and lower the heat to medium (Matt’s Tip: As the dough starts to form, keep mixing! Time to flex those muscles.)
- Step 5: Transfer dough to a mixing bowl (If you have a paddle attachment, use that.)
- Step 6: Turn on your mixer (or manually mix) and add in 1 egg
- Step 7: Mix until a soft dough forms (Matt’s Tip: Keep the dough soft for easy piping)
- Step 8: Scoop the dough into a piping bag
- Step 9: Time to pipe the dough into the canola oil (Jess’s Tip: Use a knife or scissors to trim the dough to any size you like!)
- Step 10: Cook until your dough is GBD (Golden. Brown. Delicious, baby!)
- Step 11: While your churros are cooking, mix together 1 tsp of cinnamon with ¼ cup of sugar
- Jess’s Tip! To quickly clean hands between steps (especially when handling raw meat), use the Honest Sanitizing Alcohol Wipes. Made with 65% ethyl alcohol and a touch of aloe, they’re the perfect, quick way to kill 99.9% of germs and clean sticky hands on the spot (without drying out your skin).
- Step 12: When your churros are done, remove with a strainer spoon and immediately toss them in a bowl with the cinnamon-sugar mix (Matt’s Tip: Shake the bowl to evenly coat your churros)
- Step 13: Plate your churros and enjoy!
LET THEM EAT—CHURROS!
I’m not waiting—let’s dig in RN! I chose to make my churros into cute, little bite sizes, whereas my gal Lizzy went the traditional route with longer stick churros. Either way, our sweet desserts have come out nice, hot and extra-yummy!
Once we’re done being master chefs, I always clean up my cooking space (especially if I made any spills or left anything sticky behind). For a quick yet powerful clean I can trust, I grab our Honest Disinfecting Spray. This powerful 3-in-1 antibacterial disinfecting spray cleans, deodorizes, AND disinfects all in one step. It’s made without any harsh chemicals and chlorine bleach yet is strong enough to kill 99.9% of germs (plus cold + flu viruses and bacteria!). It’s like magic in a bottle. Just a few spritzes on my non-porous surfaces, let it do its thing for 10 minutes, then swipe—it breaks down grease + grime right before your eyes. The secret is in the surfactants that are tough on germs yet gentle on your home, leaving you with a clean environment that everyone can appreciate (and giving you peace of mind).
Thanks for cookin’ up something yummy with us! I hope you had a blast making this recipe and enjoy serving it to your loved ones this New Year’s—and will do so again and again. Share pics of your finished masterpieces and tag us so we can see the amazing work you’ve done in your Honest kitchen. Cheers!
Don’t forget to check out the full Honest clean home lineup and stock up on your fave Honest lifestyle cleaning products to start the new year so fresh + so clean!
We aim to provide you with the most honest and credible information possible. This article was reviewed for accuracy by The Honest Team and was written based on trusted sources that are linked at the bottom of the article.blog_review_statement