Hey, Honest fam! Jessica Alba here. Come see what I’m cookin’ up this holiday season!!
A few weeks ago, the one-and-only Matt Broussard (@acooknamedmatt) stopped by to share his family recipe on how to cook the best steaks in town. With the holidays right around the corner, you know I’ll be serving up this delicious dish for all my guests (using Matt’s genius cooking tips too). Check out the vid here to watch what went down! Then, keep scrolling to learn Matt’s amazing insider tips on grilling up the perfect steak in a snap, AND to find out alllll my fave tricks for keeping the kitchen area ultra-clean for you + your fam using the tried-and-true, safe cleaning products from the Honest lineup. With plenty of loved ones coming to visit, it’s SO important to maintain a clean environment for us all so we can focus on what’s really important: delicious meals shared together + irreplaceable quality time. Let’s create a sparkly-clean cooking environment before + after you put your grillin’ flex to the test, and let’s keep living an Honest lifestyle!
Before we get to the fun stuff, let’s always start with a clean surface area to ensure a sanitary environment for the food we’re about to prepare for ourselves + loved ones! For a clean I can trust, I use our Multi-Surface Refillable Cleaning Kit. This starter set comes complete with an empty spray bottle and 2 concentrated pods. I just fill the bottle with one of the pods (featuring a refreshingly Pomelo Spritz scent with citrus, mint + sweet notes), add water and shake. The powerful formula cuts through tough stains, grease, dirt and grime on non-porous surfaces using naturally derived ingredients, so you know it’s safe and gentle on your home. Plus, by adding the water myself and using the refillable-reusable bottle, I’m contributing less waste by reusing the same container for more products! It’s a win-win. After wiping up, I’m confident that my master-chef space is cleaned and ready for the main attraction: Grilling time!
To make the magic happen, all you will need are the following ingredients + tools:
- 1 Pan
- 1 Small Pot
- 1 Pair of Tongs
- 1 Cutting Knife
- Cutting Board
Using a minimal amount of cooking tools and time, you can re-create Matt Broussard’s awesome New York Steak Strip recipe that he was kind enough to share exclusively with us! Follow the easy steps below (and trust me, if I can do this recipe, so can you! You’ll feel like a total steak wizard afterward)
- Reminder! Don’t forget to make sure your cooking area is squeaky-clean before starting. And always wash your hands first!
- Step 1: Season your meat with salt. (Make it rain!)
- Step 2: Warm your pan on low.
- Step 3: Sear the sides of your steak while cranking up the heat (instead of adding oil, the meat will cook in its own oil).
- Step 4: Put the steak flat down. (Matt’s Tip: Very carefully use the palm of your hand to press down on the steak for a nice sear. Be careful not to touch the pan to avoid burns.)
- Jess’s Tip! To quickly clean hands between steps (especially when handling raw meat), use the Honest Sanitizing Alcohol Wipes. Made with 65% ethyl alcohol and a touch of aloe, they’re the perfect, quick way to kill 99.9% of germs and clean sticky hands on the spot (without drying out your skin).
- Step 5: Cook 1 ½-inch steak for 5−7 minutes on each side for desired doneness.
- Step 6: Transfer the oil from your pan to a separate pot and save for later.
- Step 7: Let the meat rest on the pan and toss some butter in there.
- Step 8: Flavor the butter by adding garlic and thyme to your pan.
- Step 9: Baste the steak with the flavorful melted butter. MMM!
- Step 10: Remove pan from heat to cool and let the meat rest for 5−6 minutes.
- Step 11: Transfer meat from your pan to a cutting board and slice. (Matt’s Tip: Save leftovers in the pan to make a sauce!)
- OPTIONAL: As a cute way to serve the meal to your guests, place the sliced meat back into the pan for an aesthetic look. Always be careful when handling hot cookware.
- Step 12: Season with salt to finish!
Now’s my favorite part: Time to serve! In just a few steps, we’ve created a beautiful, sizzling, delicious steak you + your guests will be raving about all evening.
When I’m done cookin’ up my masterpiece, I like to wipe down all the surfaces where the raw meat might have been, where oil might have splashed, or just where I may have made a mess in general during the whole process! That’s where our Honest Disinfecting Spray comes in. This powerful 3-in-1 antibacterial disinfecting spray cleans, deodorizes, AND disinfects all in one step. It’s made without any harsh chemicals and chlorine bleach yet is strong enough to kill 99.9% of germs (plus cold + flu viruses and bacteria!). It’s like magic in a bottle. Just a few spritzes on my non-porous surfaces, let it do its thing for 10 minutes, then swipe⎯it breaks down grease + grime right before your very eyes. The secret? It’s in the surfactants that are tough on germs yet gentle on your home, leaving you with a clean environment that everyone can appreciate (and giving you peace of mind).
I hope you enjoyed getting crafty (and clean) in the kitchen with Matt and me! And yes, it’s possible for us to master an incredible meal AND keep the kitchen consciously clean. I’m so glad that Honest makes it easy for multitasking parents like me and you! Share pics of your completed dish and tag us so we can see the amazing work you’ve done in your happy Honest home! Cheers.
Don’t forget to check out the full Honest clean home lineup and stock up on your fave cleaning products before the holidays are here!)
Reminder - don’t forget to make sure your cooking area is squeaky clean before starting
We aim to provide you with the most honest and credible information possible. This article was reviewed for accuracy by The Honest Team and was written based on trusted sources that are linked at the bottom of the article.blog_review_statement