While spring may have sprung, it’s very much still soup season. Today we’ve got a super easy spin on your classic tomato soup, straight from our friends at Honeysuckle! They like theirs topped with grilled cheese croutons, but the soup is just as tasty all on its own.
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
1 ½ lb fresh tomatoes
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped basil
1 sprig of fresh oregano
1 sprig of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 can San Marzano Tomatoes (28 oz)
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- Halve fresh tomatoes and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet for 30 minutes at 450º F.
- In a pot, cook onions on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add carrots and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes and canned tomatoes and gently mash with a potato masher.
- Add herbs and pour in broth.
- Simmer on medium low heat for 40 minutes. Once ready, remove the herb stems (bay leaf, thyme and oregano).
- Blend with an immersion blender and add salt to taste.
~ Dzung Lewis, Honeysuckle
Honeysuckle is a food and lifestyle YouTube channel that showcases personal style expressed through food, beauty tips, and home entertaining ideas. Make sure to follow along on Instagram!